If I had a coach, she would be pulling her hair out now. It’s only nine days until the Boston Marathon and I am officially in tapering mode. At least I am when it comes to running. I did all my long runs even in the frigid weather. I ate right. So what I did I do this morning? Woke up and went for a three hour bike ride at 6 a.m. with some local triathlon friends. Why do this? I told myself it was a good opportunity to try out some new gear from Camelbak.
I have probably read every major marathon training book on the market. None of them would remotely begin to suggest to ride 50 miles this close to an event. I typically take about 90% of the advice. I listen to myself for the other 10%. Yesterday afternoon, my body said a ride would be great.
The day started out at a brisk 37 degrees. By the time I rode eight miles to meet the group, the temperature may have actually dropped a degree or two. The hills we would take would get a good sweat quickly though.
This time I left my older water bottles home. Instead I took two new Camelbak bottles with me. I really like their products. I never trusted that the dishwasher was really cleaning those stubby nubs on conventional bottle types – I’m sure they are all colored black for a reason. Camelbak’s design is easier to clean and the embedded silver ions kill bacteria.
Today, I created my own “hydration system.” I put my drink mix in the front cage with cold water. In the back cage, I filled the Podium Chill with ice and water to use in the last half. When I drained the first about halfway through the ride, I noticed the Podium Chill had ice. By the end of the three hours, the sun was fully out and it was 44 degrees. I stopped at my house and checked the bottle. I still had a lot of ice cubes remaining. Wow. However they made the bottle, I’m impressed.
Hopefully, I’ll be impressed with the run in a few short days.