It's really easy to fall off the nutrition plan in the winter for any one of a number of very good reasons. Holidays tend to center around eating. Bad weather and stressful trips can break good habits that were built over 11 months of hard work. What's the best way to get back on path for a great season this spring? Try these five rules:
1) Don't miss a meal - eat three balanced meals each day and have two healthy snacks.
2) Time the snacks for two hours before any workout - you actually need the energy to make the most out of the workout.
3) Drink a sports drink if the workout is more than an hour - and don't drink it when you're just walking around the house or office. The extra calories aren't worth the pounds.
4) Get a health snack within 30 minutes of finishing the workout - get the nutrition to replenish the glycogen while your body's window is open.
5) Stay hydrated throughout the day - put a bottle of water on your desk at the beginning of every day.
Kim Schwabenbauer, a recently turned pro triathlete and an MTV reality series star gave us this great advice for Active.com. For the full article, go to Winter Nutrition: How to Stay on Track.